Here are 10 ways to encourage your budding rock star:
- Listen to the music he likes in the car when you are driving together.
3. Offer to pay for lessons; find a teacher who will come to your home.
4. Visit a music store together and just browse; maybe play an instrument or two.
5. Definitely offer to play music with him if you have the talent; and even if you don’t! (Grab a tambourine or shakers – make it fun!)
6. Don’t say anything if he chooses to play guitar before doing his homework; compliment him later for doing both when the homework is done.
7. Don’t criticize ANYTHING he plays! But, don’t over-compliment either. (Chill!)
8. Offer to host his friends at your house for a jam session; make brownies or buy subs for them.
9. Don’t show your disappointment if he would rather go to his friend’s house.
10. Don’t ask him to play for your friends at a party. (But DO encourage him to play if HE offers.)
Any tips you’d like to add?
- Parent As Band Manager – the series (LauraLamere.com)